September 21, 2016

the end of summer




I love this time of year. I love that it is warm during the day and cool in the morning and night, I love the cool snap in the air that tells me fall is coming, and I love the the promise of all the things coming... October (my favorite), Thanksgiving, and Christmas. 
We are trying to soak in the last bits of the wonderful summer time things, the plants and flowers, the last of our garden offerings, putting in fall plants in the cold frame and nature walks to gather this and that to examine. Their are many interesting things to be found on a nature walk this time of year.
Ace picked up some creek rocks and mica, tree ears (fungus that grows on the side of a tree), and many acorns on a walk in the woods at a friends house last week. She was also entranced by a patch of jewel weed, standing and popping the seed pods for quite some time.




Beautiful jewel weed aka touch-me-not. I love these flowers, they are so exotic!





So fun to touch their little seed pods and watch them explode!





Finished up the apples, peeling and cooking these down to sauce. They might look a little rough, but they made some pretty tasty applesauce! I have some tucked in the freezer for this winter. Thank you Mommy and Poppy!





A lovely ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway...





Spying those first fallen leaves.





Evening walks in the field,





look at that September light through the trees!







Saying goodbye to this season and looking forward to the seasons to come. See you next year summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment