September 9, 2014

a stitch in time...






Last winter sometime my darling Mommy (one of my very favorite people) brought me a wonderful gift! A beautiful box that contained a plain white kitchen towel that she had stenciled a pattern on, and a hoop and embroidery floss all sorted and wound around little plastic cards. All that I needed to do was to sit down and stitch away! I almost finished the tree design when life swept on through and I set the little box aside, and many other projects have held my attention since then. Well, yesterday was the day the pretty little box caught my eye. I brought it out to the living room, opened it up, and there it all was, just as I had left it. Thin white towel folded around the embroidery hoop, needle poked through. I am now, again, lost in the white folds and stitches, choosing the colorful threads, excited to finish this item and hang it proudly in my kitchen.

Who else has a project ( or two or three...) that was started and then forgotten? Tonight or tomorrow, when the babies have gone to bed and the dishes have been done, try to make some time for yourself. Fifteen or twenty minutes even, to pick up a needle, and book, a brush, a pencil. Something quiet. Something that you want to do just for yourself, just for the pure joy of it. I'll be joining you over here with my embroidery and maybe a cup of tea.

Until the dryer buzzes anyway.



The name of the book from which the design came: Doodle Stitching, The Motif Collection: 400 + Easy Embroidery Designs, by Aimee Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment