January 3, 2015

make your own wholesome pancake mix




My household loves pancakes.

Really, really loves them. 

Quite early on in my journey of healthier choices in the kitchen, I decided to ditch the commercial pancake mix. Who wants all those "extras"? 

Here is what I came up with. This recipe is so easy and quick to throw together, and I keep it waiting in a container in the pantry for if a craving hits.

When a craving hits. Ahem.

Combine a stack of these soft, fluffy and delicious pancakes with some grass-fed butter and a drizzle (or two) of real maple syrup, some good quality bacon and eggs, you have yourself one fine meal. 

In our house we eat breakfast for lunch or dinner, too. Yes, we are that devoted.

You can choose to do any combination of flours that you wish in this recipe. All white, all wheat, half and half, etc. Just remember that the more whole grain flour you use, the heavier the pancake becomes and the longer it needs to cook.

My combination of half sprouted whole wheat and half unbleached all purpose makes a nice, soft pancake that I'm happy with. You may like to tinker with the proportions yourself.

I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do. 

Great. Now I'm hungry. If you'll excuse me, I must go to the kitchen and, well, you know.
................................................................................................................


Pancake Recipe:


Dry Mix-
8 cups flour ( I use 4 cups unbleached all purpose and 4 cups sprouted whole wheat)
6 Tablespoons aluminum free baking powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons good quality salt (sea, earth or Himalayan)
4 Tablespoons + 4 teaspoons organic cane sugar

You can dump all this into a large airtight container and shake to mix. Then just keep in pantry to use as needed.

To Make Pancakes: ( about 5-6 )
1 cup dry pancake mix
1 cup milk (of your choice, I use plain almond milk)
1 egg
1 Tablespoon melted butter
dab of butter or coconut oil to fry 

Mix together with a whisk until combined. Don't over mix.
Fry pancake of your desired size on a skillet or electric griddle in butter or coconut oil on high until edge begins to crust and bubbles form in the middle. Flip pancake and finish cooking. 
Enjoy!

...............................................................................................................












2 comments:

  1. We are devoted to breakfast too! Just had a spinach frittata for dinner and I know a couple of little girls around here who would love these pancakes. They look so light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take two stacks please, no butter or syrup. I just want to make sammiches out of them. Take one, place another one gently on top of it and top it with a third. These make a quick and filling snack, especially if you make them Hopie! And of course, one must have one to wash the first one down with and so on and so forth. I'm really looking forward to them so call me when they're done, but don't call me after they're DOWN!!! (me)

    ReplyDelete