January 8, 2015

bookworm report : the mitford series by jan karon









"There are so many people that don't know small towns exist. When I write, I want to give my readers two things: one is a sense of consolation, and two, I want to make them laugh." ~ Jan Karon


Do any of you other readers have a particular book or series that feels like home?

Where you know and love the characters, and you can always count on that book to make you feel, and laugh and empathize?

The Mitford Series by Jan Karon are those book for me. 

I. Love. Mitford.

These books always, always, always make me laugh. And cry. And many other things. But mostly laugh.

I enjoy reading different kinds of books, from different perspectives. History, nonfiction. Light reads and more heavy reads. 

In fact I'm reading a book right now about late 1800's Appalachia that would curl your toenails, but that's for a different blog post.

But without fail, when I need a break from the intensity and heaviness of the past, or oh my stars, the wild and woolly present, Mitford is always the perfect solution.

The books are centered around Father Tim, a late middle aged Episcopal priest. Along the way, Father Tim meets a mutt the size of a Buick named Barnabas, a red haired boy, knocking at his door looking for a place to "take a dump", named Dooley, and a lovely next door neighbor, Cynthia.

Mitford, the town where Father Tim lives, is a small, southern mountain town with some real quirky individuals. These books have had me doubled over in fits of hilarity more than once.

Jan Karon, just this past fall, published the tenth book in this series, called Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, and I have so enjoyed traveling back to Mitford.

If you enjoy wholesome, small town stories with humor and heart, I would recommend Jan Karon's books.

They are truly good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment