July 15, 2016

minimalist approved gifts for three year olds


In our house, we like to keep clutter to a minimum, and that includes toys! We have a todddler in the house who is turning three next month (GASP), and in her room, I like to keep things very simple and tidy. She has a toy box where most everything goes, and I know that if it doesn't fit in there, it's time to thin out. At Christmas time she got a new Ikea kitchen and some accessories that have been well used, and play dough and art supplies have always been winners. With her birthday right around the corner, I've been thinking about what some good gift ideas could be for three years old that aren't clutter causing, are a good investment of your money, and are a worthy use of your child's time. Here are a few things I have come up with.



Kinetic Sand - We got a set very similar to this one at Michael's a few months back when they were on sale for 70% off. Michael's is a great place to save money when looking for gifts. They always have great coupons and sales. Anyway, the kinetic sand looks like a lot of fun to try out!

Child's Camera - We haven't taken the plunge yet, but a camera is on the list. I think this one looks like a good option, it has pretty good reviews on Amazon, and nice sturdy grips. Our girl like to pretend to take photos all the time so I think she would really be into this.

Wooden Toy Barn Set - I was lucky enough to find a very similar wooden barn set to this months ago at a second hand store for very cheap. I was so excited when I saw it! I knew that it would be a perfect third birthday present. 

Watercolor Palette - Watercolors are slightly less messy painting experience for little ones and ours really enjoys it. She likes to paint on coffee filters, it gives such a neat effect. I know she would love her own palette. Michael's has this same brand, and you can always use their 40% off coupon to get a great deal.

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever - This has been a favorite from the library... I think it might be time to add it to our collection. Here's a couple other ideas: What Do People Do All Day? or Busy, Busy World .

Balance Bike - I am so excited to introduce a balance bike soon. I don't think it will be at this birthday, as we have most of her gifts purchased already, but maybe for Christmas. Balance bikes are small bikes with no peddles or brakes, that help a child learn to balance and glide along without getting used to training wheels doing the work for you. From what I hear, this can be a much easier transition to a regular bike when they're a bit older.

Wooden Cutting Food - Even I must admit that these look like fun! I think these would be a wonderful addition to any tot's kitchen.

Crayola Super Tips Markers - These are our absolute favorite markers. The size is perfect for all kinds of artwork and the colors are gorgeous and smooth. Great markers for a three year old or an adult like me!

Okee Dokee Brother's Music - This is a great album for young kids, and the reason I love it is because it is also adult friendly. It is actually enjoyable to listen to and quite catchy! Here are a couple other music suggestions: Elizabeth Mitchell (looove this one!) or Lisa Loeb and Elizabeth Mitchell.

Child's Knife Set - Our girl love helping me cook and chopping ingredients on her own. She has a similar plastic knife that lets her help, without me worrying.

Magna-Tiles - These are quite pricey, but sound like they are worth it. Every parent I have heard of that owns these absolutely rave about how much they are used and enjoyed by their children. I try to remind myself, when investing in certain items, that you get what you pay for. You could quickly spend this amount on several trips to the store buying different toys that your child may soon cast aside, but good quality products really can be worth the money up front.


Gymnastics, dance, or swimming lessons.

Zoo, aquarium, children's museum, or nature center membership.









No comments:

Post a Comment