July 20, 2016

blueberry pickers













Last week we round up some of the girls and went blueberry picking! We visited a small, local farm that doesn't spray their berry bushes. After an hour and a half, we had managed to pick almost 10 lbs. of blueberries... Those were the ones that made it into the basket anyway. Not a bad deal, at only $3 a lb.

These two little squirts are reminding their Mama's of themselves when we were little girls. My friend Laura and I have been thick as thieves since we were about four or five years old. Now we get to watch our own girls playing and romping and it's almost like a second childhood. I think one of the fun parts of being a parent is having an excuse to do all those things you loved to do as a child again as an adult! 

When I got my berries home, I rinsed them in a colander and laid them out on paper towels to dry. Then I transferred them to a baking tray in a single layer and froze them over night. I had to do this in a couple batches as I had so many! When the berries were fully frozen, I put them all into a freezer bag. Freezing them on a tray keeps them from sticking together and enables you to scoop out however many you want at a time. I plan on making plenty of blueberry pancakes, muffins and smoothies with these berries. Yum!

P.S. Oh, and please take note of the matching berry picking shoes! Serendipity! 



No comments:

Post a Comment