August 17, 2016

bookworm report: tinkerlab by rachelle doorley


"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
-Anonymous




In my library browsing, I found this really great book I wanted to share with you. Rachelle Doorley wrote the book titled Tinkerlab: A Hands-On Guide For Little Inventors. Self described as containing "55 playful experiments that encourage tinkering, curiosity, & creative thinking." 

I have been seeking out some books and online resources to begin acquiring ideas and information to implement in our home for our daughter who is now three years old! (I can not believe that she is three.) We are wanting to start ramping up her education at home with lots of extra books and reading, art projects, and science and nature exposure. Of course, I believe that every waking moment is part of her education, but I want to make a more specific effort now as she gets a little older, to provide a wider variety of learning opportunities. And I don't mean workbooks. Not that there is anything wrong with workbooks, if she shows an interest in paper work, we will do it, but I have a feeling that that is not going to be of much interest. And I don't want to push her to sit and "learn" ABC's and colors and write her name. I feel like when she is engaged in something that is fascinating to her, she will start to pick up a lot of information naturally. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I don't want to create a dynamic so early on with her where we are in a struggle against each other in the name of "learning". She is strong headed and independent with me, and I don't want her to get a bad taste in her mouth. Or mine. Ha.

So for right now, perhaps she will start trying to write as we play post office and make pretend letters to mail. She may learn about numbers and math as we measure ingredients for a recipe, or decide how deep to plant a seed. Colors and shapes will come as we read many stories that talk about them and do art projects involving cutting paper or mixing paint. And sometimes there will be no planned projects to do, there will just be us living our everyday life, cooking and playing and reading. 

So I plan on simply incorporating fun projects and make supplies available. This book is chock full of open ended process art projects, experiments, building projects, and concoctions. 

The author Rachelle Doorley has a lovely insta feed found here, and a pinterest account with lots of wonderful pins found here. Oh, and also a stunning website found here.



Ten Tinkerlab Habits Of Mind

Habit 1
Make room for creativity

Habit 2
Encourage questions

Habit 3
Listen actively

Habit 4
Be curious

Habit 5
See mistakes as gifts

Habit 6
Embrace a good mess

Habit 7
Accept boredom as a tool for self-discovery

Habit 8
Step back & enjoy the flow

Habit 9
Spend time outdoors

Habit 10
Think of everything as an experiment


I am excited to continue the learning process outside, in the kitchen, and at the dining room table!






No comments:

Post a Comment