October 21, 2014

play dough

     




One of the wonderful things about parenthood is the opportunity to relive and recreate fond childhood memories with your children. 

I remember making play dough with my mom. 

I watched her cook it in a pot on the stove, then dump it out on the counter and add food coloring to it, kneading and working it in until the play dough had turned from white to a vibrant color. 

Homemade play dough is a scent memory for me. You know what I mean... when you catch a whiff of something that brings back a flood of memories or a snippet of some time long ago. 

My girl and I made this play dough the other day. I even used the same recipe mom used to use, with just a couple modifications. 

First, I added the food coloring into the pot while the dough was still soupy. It mixes in beautifully and you don't end up with coloring on your hands. I also added some orange essential oils after the dough was finished, and kneaded it in.

The Best Homemade Play Dough:

In a saucepan mix 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 4 teaspoons cream of tartar, 2 cups water, 2 tablespoons oil and food coloring. Cook over medium heat, stirring until dough sticks to spoon a forms a big clump. Dump dough onto counter, adding essential oil if you wish, then knead dough until cooled a bit and smooth. Store in airtight container. Keeps well for about a month.

I gave Little Bit a clump to play with on her high chair tray.


Mmmmmm... Warm, soft, squishy, fragrant... I think she approved.



This play dough recipe originally came from the book A Mother's Manual for Summer Survival by Kathy Peel and Joy Mahaffey.


No comments:

Post a Comment