July 5, 2016

what's in my market basket (and my meal plans for this week)


I finally just sat down today! I am in my favorite chair by the windows, laptop perched upon a pillow on my lap (my typical blogging stance of choice), feeling very smug, having just devoured a delicious cup of chocolate yogurt. Now I am ready to blog!

Oh, and the kid just drifted off to napland... Oh happy days!

We had a refreshing swim this morning, said goodbye to family that were visiting for the long, Fourth of July weekend, and headed off to town to pick up groceries.

I thought it might be fun to share, occasionally, what I pick up and what I plan on doing with it. I know I always love seeing new ideas for shopping and meal planning. Sometimes we just get stuck in a rut and need a little inspiration!



We have a lovely, little produce stand in the area that has the best fruits and veggies in the summer! Some of the produce is brought in from area farms and a lot of it, they grow themselves. Today I stopped in and picked up corn, cukes, heirloom tomatoes, peaches, spring onions, and green beans picked that morning, all for ten dollars! I also picked up mushrooms, garlic, ginger root, and a head of Napa cabbage at our grocery store. Oh, and can you see that beautiful zucchini back there by the onions? That was from my own little garden today!






Here's the rest of the goods. 
~Some nice, grass-fed cheeses
~Organic MaraNatha peanut butter (love this brand!)
~Puffed corn for kiddo (good for cereal or snacking in the car)
~bakery buns
~Santa Cruz organic applesauce pouches (on the go kid snack)
~Chobani Flips yogurt (a treat for Mama)
~Siggi's grass-fed strawberry yogurt 
~K.W. Knudsen organic grape juice (I like to keep juice on hand for giving herbal tinctures to  the kiddo, it masks the taste... And for a treat!)
~Wild Planet, wild caught Skipjack tuna (apparently, Skipjack has the lowest mercury levels of any tuna) 
~Organic Tostitos blue corn tortilla chips (a staple here)
~Country style pork ribs
~Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
~Ground turkey
(I like to get organic, or at least no antibiotic, no hormone meat when possible)
~Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Conditioner (I have the shampoo and love it, wanted to try the conditioner)
~The most fascinating and thrilling of all, tissues and light bulbs!!!!!!
~I got 2 dozen organic eggs, but forgot to include them in the photo



This shampoo and conditioner is so great, I love it! I have a hard time finding hair care products. I like my body care to be pretty natural if possible, and finding something that doesn't cause buildup and make my scalp itch is tough. 
I also don't want to have scents linger in my hair in the summer because I live out in the country and I will attract literally every insect in the forest!
This stuff smells like lemon cream pie. Soooo goood. But it doesn't linger.
But I want to eat it. Help me.





~American Flatbread pizza for my husband's lunch at work one day
~Alexia Potato Puffs (tater tots)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my meal ideas for the week:


Bbq country style pork ribs in the crock pot with baked potatoes and corn on the cob

Tuna salad on thick slices of tomato with melted cheese atop a bed of lettuce

Pan fried, seasoned thin cut chicken breasts with steamed green beans with butter and salt, and jasmine rice and a green salad

Turkey burgers on bakery buns with tomatoes, lettuce and sweet onions, and potato puffs

Thin sliced cucumbers on white bread with cream cheese and salt

Mushroom omelettes with cheese

Pad Thai noodles with sauteed Napa cabbage, zucchini matchsticks and garlic, topped with a poached egg


And in case anyone is interested, what I picked up today cost $120.

A happy week to you all! Now I have to decide what to do with the rest of nap time, before the small being of the house awakens and life regains its hectic pace.  Shall I do some chores, start reading my book Night by Elie Wiesel, or watch an episode of the new PBS show I picked up from the library, Indian Summers? I think we can safely eliminate the first of those right now. Ha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment