November 20, 2014

let them help






As our little baby girl grows older into toddler hood, I am learning each day about how to be a good parent. Trying to be a better parent than I was the days and weeks before. 

A day a couple weeks ago comes to mind, when I was moving our rotting, carved pumpkin off of the hearth and discovered that it had left a cruddy pumpkin print on the stone.

I went to get my trusty-rusty scrub brush and some soapy water to clean up.
Little Miss was following me each step, watching me and reaching up to grab the brush, and at first I was too focused on my task to realize this was an opportunity.

She wanted to help.

She wanted to do what I was doing.

So I handed her the brush and what do you think she did? Run away with it?
Throw it down?

Why, no!

She went over to the dirty spot, dunked her brush in the water and commenced scrubbing!

I thought, "Duh, Hope." 

Why am I always in such a rush? Why does everything always need to be done a certain way? Why do I step right past her outstretched hand and quickly resolve every issue?

I am learning that there is nothing more delightful to my child that to be allowed to take part and do it herself. Even at her young age of only 15 months, she is asking to help, learn and join in! 

I want to nurture the natural spark of curiosity and helpfulness, not squelch it with my adult agenda.  

Now, I know, not all situations are appropriate for this. More often than not though, if I stop to put things into perspective, I realize that something taking 5 minutes longer, being a little bit messier, or not getting done quite to my specifications, is worth the experience for her. 

When I am folding hand towels and wash clothes, she helps me put them away. When I am sweeping, she gets her own little broom. When her Daddy is working on a project, she hands him things. Even if it only holds her attention for a minute or two, she is learning and soaking it all up.

As she gets older, I want my girl to know how to do things, to be confidant in her abilities, and desire to join in on the day to day tasks.

Even things as simple as scrubbing the hearth.  


1 comment:

  1. Little Doodles are like sponges, soking up everything they see and hear. I remember mine using sideways comments and silly answers against me. There are no stupid children and paybacks can be rough sometimes, but carry on Homesongsters. Little Miss is soaking up the right stuff! (me)

    ReplyDelete